Thursday, September 27, 2007

How about a little cheese with that WHINE?!?!?!?!

Okay....for the last three days my sweet Princess has been turned into a mean whiny witch. What's up with that?? Instead of speaking, or verbalizing what she wants or needs, she instead moans, groans, and occasionally fakes a sorry excuse for a crying fit. She has even been whining about going to school, which she absolutely LOVES. I don't get it!?!
Being the analytical Mom I am, I tend to drive myself (and I am sure poor Mary Lou) absolutely crazy trying to figure out WHY she is doing this. (Hmmm, maybe the reason Callie asks "WHY" a zillion times a day could be that I ask the same thing). So, anyway, I have asked her why she is sad, why she is grumpy, and why she doesn't want to go to school. I always try to validate her feelings rather than brushing them off or ignoring them. Of course though, her answer to all of these questions is "I dunno."
Next I think maybe she isn't feeling well. She has had a runny nose, so maybe she is getting a cold. I ask her if she feels okay and she tells me her throat hurts. Now let me just tell you that this child would tell you ANYTHING just to get some grape flavored Motrin. She has claimed that her arm was going to fall off if she didn't get some medicine. Yep, that's right, a 4 year old Motrin addict. Do they have AA meetings for that?? Nevertheless, I did get the flashlight and look at her throat. Perfectly pink with no red in sight. She then told me she was kidding, and her throat felt fine. Just what I suspected.
So, I am stumped. I am also ready to jump out the nearest window if we don't find the magic wand that turned my sweet Princess into this mean Witchy girl that I don't know. As I type, she has entered my office and as I reach for a hug she says in her whiny little voice, "No Mom...no hugs today." I grab her and tickle her a bit getting a slight giggle, but the Princess has left the building and I hope she comes back before I send this little witch off on her broom to Grandma's house!

6 comments:

Dee said...

So funny. Even with a 4 month old it amazes how different their personalities can be on a day to day basis.

Welcome to the blog family!!!

K J and the kids said...

This is the FIRST time you have experienced a shift in her moods.
Consider yourself blessed.
Shit....we go through "stages" all of the time. Right when I think I'm going to JAB my eyes out, I talk to other parents with kids around Syd's age and they confirm the same behavior. UGH !

(Oh, I guess this doesn't end until they are like 35)

Tracy said...

I'm going with the full moon. A few other blogs I read are experiencing the same thing. Pete (our almost 4 year old) had a melt down on Monday (see www.tracerhawk.com) and she is a pretty even keel kid.

Hope it gets better. Can't believe you don't want to join the twin club! Chicken!!

hotomiky said...

Oh no...

K - hey you scare them - they will get over real soon :o) (hopefully)

Mikaela does that too - once a while...

Hope she's get cheery mood real soon.

ECand3 said...

The princess WILL return. OG went through the same thing about 6 months ago for 3 or 4 months. GAWD, I hope it doesn't come back at 4! Anyway, we required a "happy face and happy voice" for EVERYTHING she wanted, so eventually, the whining stopped. But when we asked for the happy voice, we did it with MUCH enthusiasm and HUGE smiles to show her what we meant. EVERY TIME! SO exhausting, but it worked. Good luck.

Miss you all! Big Hugs!

Love,
Me

K J and the kids said...

Don't you check your email ?